John A. Finbury is experienced both as a trial attorney and corporate counsel. His trial work involves representing clients for serious personal injury claims, workers’ compensation and social security disability claims, and business disputes.
John’s business practice focuses on business formations, representing and advising emerging companies as well as established businesses, and negotiating and drafting contracts, leases and transaction agreements. John has served as general counsel to a number of private companies advising the board of directors on management and corporate governance and compliance issues, as well as overseeing the management of legal disputes and employment and licensing issues. John served as general counsel to Thermatrx (http://www.thermatrx.com/), a BPH medical device company, from 2001 until its sale to American Medical Systems Holdings (NASDAQ AMMD) in 2004.
John graduated from the Middlesex School, Boston University (1977), and Northeastern University School of Law (1986), and is a member of the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys and the American Trial Lawyers Association. He is licensed to practice law in Massachusetts state and federal courts. Prior to joining the firm in 1998, John was an associate and litigation partner at Bingham, Dana & Gould in Boston (now Bingham McCutchen LLP).
In 2014, John successfully argued before the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts on a negligence claim against the City of Haverhill.
John is a musician, pianist, and composer.
In 2016 John’s song “A Chama Verde” was nominated for a Latin Grammy for “Song Of The Year.” Shakira won.
In 2020, his album “Sorte!” featuring Thalma de Freitas was nominated for a Grammy for Best Latin Jazz Album. Chick Corea won.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Workers’ Compensation
- Social Security Disability
- Products Liability
- 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Massachusetts, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1987
- Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1986
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts Bachelor of Arts – 1977
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Massachusetts Bar Association, 1986 – Present
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys
- American Association for Justice
- Haverhill Bar Association
- Director – Mental Health Resources Plus – Non-profit corporation managing clubhouses in Lawrence and Haverhill, 2001 – 2014
- Dual Voting Member of Latin Grammy and Grammy Recording Academies
Past Employment Positions
- Judge Lawrence Shubow, Law Clerk
- Bingham, Dana & Gould, Boston, Associate