John A. Finbury is experienced both as a trial attorney and corporate counsel. His trial work involves representing clients for serious personal injury claims, workers compensation and social security disability claims, and business disputes.
John’s business practice focuses on business formations, representing and advising emerging companies as well as established businesses, and negotiating and drafting contracts, leases and transaction agreements. John has served as general counsel to a number of private companies advising the board of directors on management and corporate governance and compliance issues, as well as overseeing the management of legal disputes and employment and licensing issues. John served as general counsel to Thermatrx (http://www.thermatrx.com/), a BPH medical device company, from 2001 until its sale to American Medical Systems Holdings (NASDAQ AMMD) in 2004.
John graduated from the Middlesex School, Boston University (1977), and Northeastern University School of Law (1986), and is a member of the Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys and the American Trial Lawyers Association. He is licensed to practice law in Massachusetts state and federal courts. Prior to joining the firm in 1998 John was an associate and litigation partner at Bingham, Dana & Gould in Boston (now Bingham McCutchen LLP).
John is a musician and composer and plays piano in a jazz sextet.
In 2014, John successfully argued before the Supreme Judical Court of Massachusetts on a negligence claim against the City of Haverhill.
In 2016 John’s song “A Chama Verde” was nominated for a Latin Grammy for “Song Of The Year.” He lost to Shakira.
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Personal Injury — Plaintiff
- Workers’ Compensation
- Social Security Disability
- Products Liability
- Medical Malpractice
- Criminal Law
- 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Massachusetts, 1986
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1986
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1987
- Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1986
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
Bachelor of Arts – 1977
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Massachusetts Bar Association, 1986 – Present
- Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys
- American Association for Justice
- Haverhill Bar Association
- Director – Mental Health Resources Plus – Non-profit corporation managing clubhouses in Lawrence and Haverhill, 2001 – 2014
Past Employment Positions
- Judge Lawrence Shubow, Law Clerk
- Bingham, Dana & Gould, Boston, Associate